Instagram marketing has been booming in recent years and if you want to maximize its potential there are some interesting stats that you want to know about…
Stats that might cause you to make a change, improve what you do, or if you’re new, then try Instagram marketing out. They’re incredibly powerful and you’ll love them.
So, that’s nothing to wait for, and let’s hop in.
Video on Instagram Stats
Video is becoming more and more important content format on Instagram and we as Instagram marketers should know some stats about it to take our content to the next level.
Here are some of the most important statistics:
- Instagram has seen an 80% increase in the time that users spend watching video on the platform (Instagram)
- For the first time in 2020, image posts received more average likes and comments than permanent video posts (Mention)
- Median comments on image posts are 106, compared to 94 on videos and 82 on carousels (Mention)
- Similarly, overall engagement rates on photos are nearly double those of videos. Videos attract an average rate of slightly over 0.7%, whereas images attract nearly 1.4% (Rival HQ)
Instagram User Demographics Stats
Understanding the demographics of Instagram users is super important to understand whether or not your dream customers are there and if doing Instagram marketing is worth it (even though in 99% of cases it is).
Check out these stats…
- The U.S. (130 million), India (100 million), and Brazil (91 million) are the top 3 countries with Instagram users (Statista)
- 37% of American adults use Instagram (Pew Research)
- 72% of U.S. teenagers use Instagram (Pew Research)
- The largest group of Instagram users is 25-34 year olds, who make up 25.2% of all Instagrammers (Statista)
- Approximately 29% of smartphone users worldwide are on Instagram (Statista)
Instagram Engagement Statistics
The more you engage your audience, the better relationships you are going to build, the more of your dream customers Instagram algorithm is going to promote your content to, and the more results from your Instagram marketing you are going to get.
Check out these Instagram marketing stats to find out what gets engagement:
- Instagram’s median engagement rate is 1.22%. That’s 13.5x higher than Facebook posts and 27x higher than a Tweet (Rival IQ)
- The best times to post on Instagram are Wednesdays at 11am or Fridays between 10am and 11am (Sprout Social)
- Instagram posts that include faces receive 38% more likes than those without faces (Georgia Tech)
- A 2020 study found that Higher Education outperformed every other industry in terms of post engagement, hitting 3.57% (Rival IQ)
- The same study found that posting more frequently on Instagram is not correlated with higher engagement (Rival IQ)
- Instagram is currently testing removing like counts and the like button altogether in Canada, New Zealand and other countries (Business Insider)
- Every tagged user in an Instagram post brings an additional 0.5-1 likes (Mention)
- A total of 4.2 billion likes occur on Instagram each day (Smash Social)
Instagram Advertising Statistics
Instagram advertising is a new thing in the advertising world, and it is one of the most powerful ways to get in front of your dream customers. Instagram ads are fairly underpriced, and when you know how to use them, they can help you scale your business like crazy.
Check out these Instagram marketing stats and find out for yourself…
- Over 2 million advertisers are actively using Instagram (Instagram)
- The average cost-per-click across Instagram ads is around $0.70-$1.00 (HubSpot)
- Cost-per-click is more expensive for females than males (AdEspresso)
- iOS devices have the highest cost-per-click (AdEspresso)
- Instagram’s ad revenue is expected to reach 30% of Facebook’s total ad revenue by the end of 2020 (Vox)
- 38% of marketers regularly use Instagram’s ad platform (Social Media Examiner)
Instagram Hashtags Stats
Hashtags are one of the best ways to get more exposure on Instagram. Check out these Instagram marketing stats to find out more about them…
- In a study conducted by mention, they found no correlation between the number of hashtags on a post and engagement (Mention)
- The top 3 hashtags used on Instagram are #love, #photography, and #instagood (Mention)
- 70% of Instagram hashtags relate to a brand campaign (Omnicore)
- More than six hashtags can actually decrease engagement (Mention)
- The most commonly hashtagged food across the world is pizza (Telegraph)