Many of the marketing guides and articles you see every day are based on nothing but the author’s subjective opinion.
So how do you separate facts from opinions? That’s right, numbers.
Numbers speak louder than words. Everything you are going to discover here is based on statistics. In fact, you are going to discover only statistics.
And you can use these statistics to take your email marketing to another level. So, let’s jump in…
Table Of Contents
- Email Marketing Performance Statistics
- Email Frequency And Timing Statistics
- Email Subject Line Statistics
- Email Personalization And Customization Statistics
- Mobile Email Marketing Statistics
- The Impact Of Covid-19 On Email Marketing
- Challenges In Email Marketing Statistics
- Email Segmentation Statistics
- Pictures In Email Marketing Statistics
- Videos In Email Marketing Statistics
- User Behavior Email Marketing Statistics
- Email Marketing Automation Statistics
Email Marketing Performance Statistics
Email is being questioned as a marketing channel every year. And yet the numbers show that it is stronger than ever.
- In 2018, an average of 293.6 billion emails were sent and received per day.
- 89% of marketers use email as the primary channel for generating leads.
- The average click-through rate was 3.43%.
- The average unsubscribe rate for 2019 was 0.2%.
- The spam rate average in 2019 was 0.02%.
- In 2019, the average open rate was 22,15%.
- Meanwhile, the average click-to-open rate was 15.49%.
- 86% of professionals give priority to email connection.
- In Europe, North America, and APAC, email marketing is the most widely used technology for customer engagement – 77.6% (compared to 62% produced by content management and 61% shown by social media).
- 47% of marketers rate email marketing as the most effective marketing channel (39% for social media, 33% for SEO, and 33% for content marketing).
- 93% of B2B marketers use email channel for distributing content.
- 72% of customers prefer email as their main channel for business communication.
- 52% of responders said that email is their main communication tool.
Email Frequency And Timing Statistics
When it comes to conversions from your email marketing, one needs to know the best time to send out an email. And email marketing statistics have a thing or two to say about the perfect email frequency and sending time.
- 61% of subscribers/customers would like to receive promotional emails every week, 38% – more frequently.
- Marketers get in touch with their clients (per month): 2-3 times (32%), 4-6 times (19%), once (17%), 6+ times (16%).
- 18% of emails are sent on Thursdays, 17% on Tuesdays, 16% on Wednesdays.
- The worst open and click-through rates are on weekends.
- 11AM is the best time for sending emails, 12AM shows the highest CTR.
- Traffic peak is in autumn and winter (especially on Black Friday, Cyber Monday and December 23).
- 50% of marketers claim that there is no perfect time for sending email campaigns as every person and business is unique.
- The best days for emails are Tuesday and Thursday.
Email Subject Line Statistics
- The email subject line most often contains: the customer’s name (46.21%), the product name/details (44.01%), the company name (42.88%). At the same time, these three variables in the email subject line show the highest conversion rate (3.71%, 3.18%, and 3.58% respectively).
- 47% of people open the emails based on the subject line and 69% of customers can report emails as spam based on the subject line only.
- Emails containing personalization in the subject line are 22% more likely to be opened.
- Subject lines with “10% off” get 21% higher click rate, and emails with “50% off” in the subject line get a 33% higher click rate (Adestra, 2015)
- Using the word “buy” in the subject line can improve click rate by 27%, but “register” and “early bird” decrease the click rate by 130% and 154% respectively (Adestra, 2015)
- In B2B emails, subject lines with the word “bulletin” decreased unsubscribe rates by 260% (Adestra, 2015)
- Emails with personalized subject lines are 7% more likely to be opened than emails with general subject lines (Experian, 2015)
- Subject lines with less than 30 characters, or more than 90, do the best. Everything between 30-90 characters is a dead zone! (Adestra, 2012)
- Subject lines with two words or less perform much stronger in open and click rates than lengthier subject lines (Adestra, 2012)
- Using the word “video” in your subject line can increase open rates 19%, CTR by 65%, and reduce unsubscribes by 26% (Syndacast, 2015)
Email Personalization And Customization Statistics
Personalization and customization are where email shines. Unlike social media and other marketing channels, you can better tailor your messaging depending on who is seeing it.
Most email clients allow you to segment your email lists based on online behaviour, demographic data, their position in the buyer journey, and many other factors. In itself, email marketing allows for a variety of ways to customize your email messaging.
So, how are others in the industry fairing with this tactic? Read on for insightful information.
- Personalized emails generate up to 6 times higher revenue than non-personalized emails. (Source)
- Relevant emails drive 18 times more revenue than broadcast emails. (Source)
- Birthday emails can increase conversion rates by 60 percent over non-birthday email messages with the same offer. (Source)
- 74 percent of marketers say targeted personalization increases customer engagement. (Source)
- Emails with personalized subject lines are 26 percent more likely to be opened. (Source)
- Marketers have noted a 760 percent increase in revenue from segmented campaigns. (Source)
- When an email is not personalized, 52 percent of customers say they’ll find somewhere else to go. (Source)
- Segmented, targeted, and personalized emails generate 58 percent of all revenue. (Source)
- Personalized trigger mailings have 25 percent higher unique open rates. (Source)
- 71 percent of shoppers are frustrated with the lack of personalization in their shopping experiences. (Source)
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics
Whether you are checking social media, keeping up on news, or texting friends and family, your smartphone has become an essential part of your daily life. Smartphones have proved to become pivotal to email marketing.
The stats show that marketers have to tailor their email marketing campaigns and strategies for mobile devices. What data should you keep in mind while doing this? Check out the stats below.
- When it comes to email marketing, 49 percent of all emails are opened on mobile devices. (Source)
- 23 percent of readers who open an email on a mobile device open it again later. (Source)
- The iPhone is the most common mobile device that users use to open their email the first time. (Source)
- One out of every three clicks within an email occurs on a mobile device. (Source)
- Mobile readers who open an email a second time from a computer are 65 percent more likely to click through. (Source)
- Mobile email will account for 24 percent to 77 percent of email opens, depending on your target audience, product, and email type. (Source)
- About 3 in 5 consumers check their email on the go, and 75 percent say they use their smartphone most often to check mail. (Source)
- Nearly four million adults do not use a desktop or laptop to access the internet. (Source)
- Webmail and desktop opens have steadily declined throughout 2015, each dropping 13 percent since January. (Source)
- The first link in a responsive design email on mobile has a 30 percent higher click rate than non-responsive design. (Source)
The Impact Of Covid-19 On Email Marketing
As consumers were forced to move online and most businesses closing their physicals stores, the impact on email has been a double edged sword.
- When brands dialled down their email communications many consumers were missing them. This was polarised though – 43% men were missing these absent emails compared to 18% females – Pure360 & emailexpert consumer research
- During COVID we saw 250% increase in sign-ups – Pure360 & Profusion research
- There was a 40% reduction in emails – Pure360 & Profusion research
- As mobility decreased there was an increase of 28% in desktop readership – Pure360 & Profusion research
Challenges In Email Marketing Statistics
Every email marketer is facing some kind of challenge when they are doing their email marketing procedures.
Here are the things that makes most of the email marketers drive insane:
- 66% of consumers unsubscribe from emails because they are not relevant to them.
- 34% of consumers mark email marketing messages as spam.
- 53.49% of emails sent are classified as spam.
- 16% of all emails never make it into the inbox.
- 80% of users are likely to delete an email if it isn’t mobile-friendly.
- Emails for nurturing leads generate an 8% CTR compared to general emails, which generate just a 3% CTR.
- The average email deliveraby was just 79.6% in February 2020.
- When it comes to email marketing automation, just 1 in 5 say they use most or all marketing automation features available to them.
Email Segmentation Statistics
You should segment your email lists for the best results. Target potential clients more accurately by segmenting them into smaller groups based on different data points. This approach allows you to deliver your email message more accurately.
- Segmented email campaigns have a 14.31% higher open rate, than non-segmented email campaigns.
- Segmented email campaigns have 100.95% higher click-through-rates compared to non-segmented email campaigns.
- Marketers say that email list segmentation (51%), personalised emails (50%) and drip campaigns (45%) are the most effective email marketing tactics.
- Segmented campaigns drive 760% increase in revenue.
- 33% of companies segment their customers by demographics and use only email marketing.
Pictures In Email Marketing Statistics
A picture is worth a thousand words. Pictures can really improve your visual status of the email. Consider the following statistics:
- 32% of marketers say visual images are the most important form of content for their business.
- 72% of businesses that use GIFs or cinemagraphs observe higher transaction-to-click rates.
- Infographics are the fourth most used type of content marketing.
- 65% of users prefer email to contain more images instead of text.
- Visuals increase a person’s willingness to read a piece of content by 80%.
- People retain 65% of the information three days later when it is paired with an image.
Videos In Email Marketing Statistics
What happens when you embed video in an email? This collection of email marketing statistics will show you exactly what and prove that videos can be just the move for your next email marketing campaign.
- An initial email with a video receives a CTR increase of 96%.
- 81% of marketers use video as a marketing tool.
- 78% of marketers using video say that it increases ROI.
- Attaching a video in an email can lead to a 200-300% increase in CTR.
- Using the word “video” increases open rates by 19%, CTR by 65%, and cuts the number of unsubscribes by 26%.
- 54% of email subscribers prefer emails with videos.
- People mostly watch videos on a desktop (84%) while only 14% watch it on mobile devices.
- 90% of users say that videos help them make a purchase decision.
User Behavior Email Marketing Statistics
- 51% of people have an email address because they buy things online (Adestra, 2016)
- Only 5% of people say they don’t know why they have an email address, and they never use it (Adestra, 2016)
- Over 60% of workers in the US that use internet say that email is “very important” for their job (Pew Research, 2014)
- 53% of email users leave an email unread if they’re saving it to read for later, and 30% star it (Adestra, 2016)
- Most consumers check their email and text messages first thing in the morning, before anything else (Adestra, 2016)
- 67% of users will unsubscribe from an email list if they no longer want communications from the company (Adestra, 2016)
- 72% of consumers prefer email communication from a business over other channels (Adestra, 2016)
- People generally spend less than 15 seconds reading marketing emails, so keep it short and sweet! (MailChimp)
- Half of email users check their email when they’re bored, so make sure your email banishes the boredom! (Adestra, 2016)
Email Marketing Automation Statistics
- The average open rate of a “Welcome email,” is 82 percent. (Source)
- Sending 3 abandoned cart emails results in 69 percent more orders than a single email. (Source)
- Automated email campaigns account for 21 percent of marketing revenue. (Source)
- Over 75 percent of email revenue is generated by triggered campaigns. (Source)
- Companies that send automated emails are 133 percent more likely to send relevant messages that correspond with a customer’s purchase cycle. (Source)
- On average, more than 51 percent of companies are currently using marketing automation. (Source)
- More than half of B2B companies plan to adopt marketing automation technology. (Source)
- Email marketing technology has the highest adoption. (Source)
- 33 percent of marketing campaigns are automated. (Source)
- Automated emails get 119 percent higher click rates than broadcast emails. (Source)
With this list of email marketing statistics, it’s clear to see that the email is far from dead. Use these email stats to guide your way to sky-high open rates, and flood your business with sales.
Discover This Free, Jaw-Dropping Marketing Bundle ($327.78 Value)…
“And Laugh All The Way To The Bank!
25 marketing secrets that will flood your business with hot leads and revenue.
13 top-secret copywriting tactics that’ll skyrocket your conversions to the next level!
Amazing Sales Copies swipe file for every kick-ass copywriter and marketer.
Unique Selling Proposition Worksheet that will differentiate your business forever!
Once you will crawl through this incredible bundle, you will never struggle with aquiring new customers again.
Send for your 25 Marketing Secrets Blackbook, Thirteen Top-Secret Copywriting Secrets e-book, Amazing Sales Copies, and Unique Selling Proposition Worksheet today!
Just fill in the form below, and this mega-valuable marketing bundle will be sent to your inbox within minutes!